Sunday, January 23, 2011

Ridge Ponzo Vineyard 2008 Zinfandel Is Not A Mountain To Climb But Another Ridge-Well To Drink From



Ridge Ponzo Vineyard 2008 Zinfandel, $26.99, 92 points, has a vibrant, though not a dense ruby-color. This is a crystal gem of a wine.
The vibrant aroma resonated with each revolution of my glass, releasing wonderfully fragrant and rich blackberries and earth, each time more intensely than the first, all of which carried onto the palate.
This vibrant medium-bodied wine has bright acidity, moderate, but noticeable tannin, yet is early palate gentle, but as the finish approached there was a bursting of spice ending in a long finish of white pepper and a hint of ginger.
This is another in a growing list of wonderful Zinfandel Wines from Ridge, that like a Deep-Well, I keep going back to.
The 2008 Ponzo was bottled just about one year ago and its youth is noticeable only in its vibrant (word of the day) everything!
I would just like to say I'm so glad I didn't let my first impression of Ridge wines stop me from trying these other wonderful wines; similarly I have had two not so good tastings with Ravenswood Zinfandel wines (My Brother Peter's favorite), but Jim at the Bedford, New Hampshire Liquor Store persuaded me to try (BUY) one more: Ravenswood Single Vineyard BELLONI Russian River 2007 Zinfandel; I'll let you know how that goes.


Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2011 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

No comments:

Post a Comment