Monday, January 24, 2011

Francis Coppola Diamond Collection Red Label 2008 Zinfandel


Francis Coppola Diamond Collection Red Label 2008 Zinfandel, $15.29, 87 points, is described on that red label as "succulent", and I agree; this is a lush, smooth, and a gulper of a wine. Having a typical Burgundy red appearance and aroma not of cherry, plum, or even blackberries, but of  (You guessed it) grape.

The smoothness of black current dominates as I find it, with a bit of bacon-fat, and the alcohol is almost unnoticeable at 13.5%. There was floral notes that were accentuated by day three, and once again reminded me of eucalyptus, a pleasure for some, but a distraction for me.
I'm starting to see a trend in Coppola's wines and I expect that to continue as I explore these wonderful wines.

This is a good wine at a good price, especially if you like a medium-bodied wine that is rich and light on the alcohol. My complaints are the finish is a bit short and very little in the way of zesty spice, more a Rich Red Table wine. The label does provide pairing suggestions, which often helps in a pinch, and with this Zinfandel I concur with those suggestions.


Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2011 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

1 comment:

  1. This Zin lost its appeal soon after opening, and my advise is to plan on using the whole bottle soon after opening.

    ReplyDelete