Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Ravenswood Single Vineyard 2007 Zinfandel Wines In Spades


If you were waiting for my review of the Ravenswood Zinfandel Belloni Vineyard Russian River Valley 2007 Zinfandel , your wait is over in spades, because I not only tried the Belloni, but the Dickerson, Big River, and the Teldeschi,  Single Vineyard 2007 Zinfandel wines as well.

All these  Ravenswood Single Vineyard 2007 Zinfandel wines I've reviewed here have the same winemaker (Joel Peterson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXOKMaRLbI4&feature=related ), or (Joel Peterson-Dallaswinechick), and all of them have a similar feel, all have been aged 20 months in 100% French oak, and all these  Zins are far superior to those other Ravenswood Zins already reviewed: [Ravenswood Zinfandel, Napa Valley 2005, Ravenswood Zinfandel, Napa Valley 2008, Ravenswood Zinfandel , Vinter's Blend  2007]

Ravenswood Zinfandel Dickerson Vineyard, Napa Valley, 2007 Zinfandel (100%), $29.99, 92 points. This one has the nicest aroma of all these I've tried, and the best eucalyptus  flavor of any wine I've tried (delicate). This is an exceptional  Ravenswood  Zinfandel with the typical  Single Vineyard Zinfandel  smooth and uncomplicated drinkability. The Dickerson intends to be a Zin and only a Zin, no masquerading  as anything else but a Zin. with the bramble and the pepper. I like this one the best of the seven Ravenswood Zins I've tried so far. Went great with a spiced-up strip steak and buttered Jewish rye.

Ravenswood Zinfandel Belloni Vineyard Russian River Valley, 2007 Zinfandel  (co-fermented  grapes from Zinfandel, Carignane, and Petite Syrah), $25.49, 90 points.
Dark magenta, aromas of blackberries which is true to its flavor, but having a smooth medium body with hints of licorice, and a long finish of white pepper.
Paired well with a green-pepper pizza.

Ravenswood Zinfandel Big River Vineyard, Alexander Valley, 2007 Zinfandel (100%), $25.49, 90 points.
Dark and dense royal purple color, aroma is a bit vegetative with something different: new car-smell (Not offensive). Let me know if you find that true. The flavor is big, tannic, and finishes spicy with a long white pepper finish.

Ravenswood Zinfandel Teldeschi Vineyard Dry Creek Valley
2007 Zinfandel, (76% Zinfandel, 22% Petite Syrah, 2% Carignane),  $25.49, 91 points.
Dark and dense (On the fringe of purple shiraz), medium bodied though early palate light, rolling-into a big berry-grape bomb, having hints of licorice and black pepper, finishing modestly with white pepper. Paired well with Chipotle Chorizo sausage and spaghetti in tomato sauce.
I found some of the scoring on this last wine interesting: WS rated this wine 86 points (I, humbly, found that  to be ridiculous). The other was International Wine Cellar's score of 94 points just a bit of a stretch though not unreasonable. It is important  to understand  and to accept subjectivity as an inherent fact, and hopefully honest opinions are given, but I do take some comfort in being nicely in the middle of the two extremes.


Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2011 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

2 comments:

  1. Great reviews Dennis.. I'll have to keep a lookout for some of these Zins. I'll let you know if I find any good ones in my travels over the next couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben, I trust you are learning too much to impart on your adventures, and you can imagine how WE are looking forward to the details; in the mean time your wine thoughts are very welcome, even as I look for the Whites you recommended.
    I must admit that White wine is more subtle in weighing a qualitative value to it, however, though many Whites just plain taste the same to me (In their own classifications) there are some that just stand-out for me; I'll do a post on that sometime. So far the blog is just gently moving ahead, but I've been checking dozens of blogs (Many want you to subscribe) and I find that generally they are nebulous and lacking in New Hampshire relevance.
    Thanks for the encouragement. Do try the Dickerson's Zin. if you get a chance; if it goes on sale I'll pick-up another.

    ReplyDelete