Friday, September 14, 2012

Celler Piñol Terra Alta Ludovicus 2009 Red Wine


Celler Piñol Terra Alta Ludovicus 2009 Red Wine (40% Garnacha, 15% Tempranillo, 15% Cariñena, 20% Syrah and 10% Merlot), $9.00-$12.50, 89 points, is dark ruby red in color.
Give this wine a "minute" to breathe, and out comes a beautiful blackberry, smoky oak, and cooking spice aroma.
The body is medium plus, is smooth on mild acidity and tame tannin, carrying plentiful flavors of plum, licorice, juicy boysenberry, tart cherry, and espresso. The palate continues the finish with just a hint of spice.
It is about time I served-up a Spanish Red Wine, and at $9.00, wow! I'm not sure if this one is still available, but if you're looking for a great Red Wine as a "table wine", then grab this one.
Bought at the Londonderry Hannaford's super market.




Index-of-reviewed-wines 

Copyright 2012 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like two nice back-to-back wines with the Tanunda and Pinol! You must be living life right!

    Now I've come to expect a certain level of photography from your blog, Dennis, but with the Pinol, I think you've taken it to another level. Love the use of color and pattern.

    I'm going to look up both of these and see if they are distributed in Kansas. If not, I might be making some further inquiries.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ludovicus is a great bottle. Come to think of it, I haven't seen it in a while & I was buying it regularly for a while there. I hope it's still around. I know someone that will know, I just have to remember to ask!

      Bill - go for it.

      Delete
    2. Bill, I'll be glad to give your info to John Geber, owner of Chateau Tanunda (he appears to be quite a good salesmen too) and the Banfi rep Joe Janish (Banfi is tied to Tununda). Let me know.


      Claire: thanks for the confirmation. You'll "hate" the expression by now, but as a newbie in all of this, I feel like I'm going out-on-a limb when I express strong and positive reviews about an inexpensive wine, but with Spain it should be NO surprise, and the wine adventurer who just takes a chance and pulls an unknown bottle from the shelf, will often be rewarded.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Dennis, but if Tununda is owned by Banfi, then I'm sure they would have an exclusive with the Banfi distributor in KS.

      And totally agree with your comments re: inexpensive Spanish wine.

      Delete