Saturday, October 20, 2012

Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona 2008 Rosso di Montalcino

 


Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona 2008 Rosso di Montalcino, $22.09-$26.99, 91 points, is pomegranate in color with a broad transparent rim.
The aroma is a light sweet red cherry with hints of cinnamon and cedar.
A smooth medium body carries good acidity with mild tannin that plays to the fruity flavors of cranberry, red cherry, and a smoky plum.
The finish is a smart spicy one with an accentuating tartness.
This winery has impressed me before, but the quality and price of this 2008 Rosso is excellent.
I can picture three or four bottles of Ciacci Piccolomini d'Aragona 2008 Rosso di Montalcino on my large Thanksgiving day dinner table, my guest's eyes popping-out: "What kind of wine is this?" Me: "It's not Barefoot!" Of course it's not $5 either.


Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2012 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

2 comments:

  1. It would go well with Turkey and Savory stuffing. I'd be leary with things like cranberry or sweet potatoes, etc... but you can pop an AMERICAN Zin for that. :)

    Good on ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, thanks for the pairing notes.
      I agree that a Zinfandel will pair well; I was thinking that the Thanksgiving table will have RSL, PN, Sangiovese, and maybe an Ice-wine, but you've got me thinking. I don't have much time to make my recommendations for NH wine shoppers, but I'm working on it.

      Delete