Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Merry Edwards Russian River Valley 2011 Sauvignon Blanc





Merry Edwards Russian River Valley 2011 Sauvignon Blanc, $31.56-$42.99, 93 points, begins in the glass burnished gold.
The aroma, though simple lemongrass and tangerine, is delightful.
I paired this with seared fresh cod in a creamed cheese sauce, which was fine, but it wasn't until I began drinking this Sauvignon Blanc by itself that I began to appreciate just how excellent a wine this is.
Near medium bodied with good acidity, it did not have the wooly texture I associate with Sauvignon Blanc, but a smoother, almost Chardonnay buttery-like texture, and with none of the over done quality or the flavor that tends to define a California Chardonnay wine, rather a complex citrus and melon flavor that is highlighted by a never-ending finish of the trailing palate with a crisp white pepper and ginger.

Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2010-2013  Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger


 

2 comments:

  1. I was tasting some wines with a chef a few months back and he pulled the remnants of a bottle of this he had tasted on the previous day. I've seen this all over town and I'd been very skeptical about a $40 Sauvignon Blanc. But after tasting it, I understood why it command such a price. You nailed it with the citrus notes balanced by a deliciously creamy texture. An absolute textbook example of what can be done with this grape.

    I've also been fortunate to have had a few bottles of her "Coopersmith" Pinot Noir and it is quite stunning. (Of course, for $75 it should be stunning.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, so well said:)
      As for her PN wines, I've had a couple of them and they are exceptional, but haven't been fortunate enough to taste the Coopersmith:(

      Delete