Monday, June 17, 2013

Poggio Antico altero 2007 brunello di montalcino



Poggio Antico altero 2007 brunello di montalcino,
$63.49-$82.99, 95 points, exploded in a sunburst of orange/red with a transparent rim.
A lovely aroma of  toasty black cherry and cedar with a hint of roses was propitious.
The medium body carried flavors reflective of the aromas and cardamom, savory, and tobacco.
Crisp acids and persistent while tantalizing tannins were edgy and clamored glamorous.
Finished long on an escalating spiciness with a hint of mint.
With a rare sharp cheddar cheese strip steak, Ethan's (Father's Day Chef) secret mashed potatoes, caramelized Brunello red onions, and broccoli, all things enhanced all things perfectly.



Index-of-reviewed-wines


Copyright 2010-2013 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

5 comments:

  1. Food and wine sound great! I just love Poggio Antico. One of my favorite estates.

    Salute, and a belated Happy Father's Day to you. It sounds like you did the day well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, this sounds delicious, but a bit pricey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vinogirl, "a bit pricey" depends on what you want? When my son smiled with magnified approval, and the wine magnified his cooking, the $63.49 was worth the price, and I'd buy this again:-)
      However, Poggio's little brother (Poggio Antico 2007 Brunello Di Montalcino) was "only" $53.54;-)
      I've been thinking a "bit" about wine and perceived value, and I have an analogy with music I mentioned in passing before; I love Ralph Vaughan Williams and Claude Debussy, two composers that arguably are not that complex or technical as some others, maybe Franz Liszt would be a good example, (This is not a hard and fast rule), but the pleasure I have in listening to them is great though not as complex as some, even as this wine (arguably not that complex-yet) gave me a similar pleasure, though the first is auditory while the later is taste. So, if I go to a concert, what would that cost me? TMI, again!

      Delete