Sunday, February 16, 2014

Tenute Niccolai Podere Bellarina-Palagetto 2007 Brunello di Montalcino DOCG



Tenute Niccolai Podere Bellarina-Palagetto 2007 Brunello di Montalcino DOCG, $47.59-$55.99, 94 points, poured nearly black at the core, and spread crushed black currant fading into a narrow band of sunburst orange with thick drapes into a broad clear rim (spectacular color for a wine).
Aromatic mushrooms, cedar, and pine resin were pleasant.
Medium-plus body carried glorious acidity with layered sweet and persistent tannin (maybe a bit overwhelming for soft Merlot fans).
The flavors of earth, chocolate, blueberry, and strawberry were nicely balanced with dried herbs, but finished quite long and explosively on an intensifying tannic presence, mushrooms, mint, warmth from the 15% alcohol, and a multifaceted spiciness. 
In my lexicon of wine tasting, this is a notable and desirable red wine, one of which I'd like to have many bottles in my cellar.
For such a great wine, the price makes this a high quality value!
I know there are those out there which only buy wine for four or five bucks, they will almost certainly drink inferior wines at the whim of circumstance, but generally you get what you pay for.




Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2010-2014 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger



2 comments:

  1. D,

    One I am not familiar with. Can you tell me the importer? I'll have to try this. 15% with chocolate and blueberry sounds full throttle to me..... Did you have this with food or just chocolate?

    TTCP

    Fo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John, I'm not sure I'd call it full throttle, but it sure was delicious, and for the price-highly recommened. Since I drank this bottle over two days and with everything I ate, I can't remember specifically what I paired this with.
      As for the importer, I'll get back to you when I dig-out my other bottle.

      Delete