Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Shafer Napa Valley Carneros Red Shoulder Ranch 2014 Chardonnay





Shafer Napa Valley Carneros Red Shoulder Ranch 2014 Chardonnay, $38.24-$51.99, 89 points, was the first disappointing (relatively speaking) Shafer wine I've had, and like unto the Nickle And Nickle Far Niente Napa Valley 2014 Chardonnay, a far cry from the three vintages I've had in past years.
It was okay but too oaky for my taste, a bit flat early palate, and overpriced for an average Cali-typical Chardonnay.
Caveat: Many of the big wine reviewers LOVED this vintage Shafer, but I can only report on what I've tasted.
Color: Straw yellow.
Aroma: Apple notes with oak inspired caramel and vanilla.
Near full-bodied with good acidity and a fair finish nuanced with ginger and cantaloupe which managed to save this Chardonnay.
Paired fine with my broiled Canadian Maritime Halibut.
ABV: 14.9%

Shafer, why it's a "go to" winery.
Index-of-reviewed-wines

Copyright 2010-2018 Dennis Tsiorbas. All rights reserved, Template provided by Blogger

2 comments: